Wednesday, October 26, 2011

CCP, Sony and Steve Jobs

No matter whether you anxiously await Dust 514 or don't even know what it is, you should read this linked article.

This one.

Me, personally, I am full of doubt. I absolutely wish that Dust 514 changes the world, literally. But I find it hard to imagine; especially considering CCP's current financial problems. I tried playing Eve Online four times by now and each time it failed to grab my interest long term. I want to believe, but Eve has just too many flaws.

And still, Eve Online is a remarkable game: a vision. Steve Jobs quotes are popular right now, so let me quote this one:
You can't just ask customers what they want and then try to give that to them. By the time you get it built, they'll want something new.

4 comments:

  1. Though I liked the article immensely, the Steve Jobs quote in conjunction with it brings up an interesting point here. Will shooter players even want their games to have consequences and meaning? Typically I don't play Team Fortress 2 for any sort of long term goal, and I can't imagine anyone who currently plays Call of Duty to either.

    It's really the only hesitation about Dust. I love the idea, but the target audience is such a far cry from EVE's that it may not go over well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That article was damn near 5,000 words, and only in the last 700 was there any actual talk about, you know, whether the game will be any fun to play.

    I get the Steve Jobs aspect of making new things instead of asking people what they want; most people have no idea what they want. Before the iPad, who thought they wanted a tablet computer?

    My question with Dust 514 is: they really want to compete in the console FPS market? Really? Because, instant EVE connectivity or not, that is their audience outside of EVE players with PS3s.

    That there is no PC version of the game simply boggles my mind. Never had an inclination to play EVE even when it periodically goes on sale for $5 on Steam, but I could absolutely see myself trying a FPS version and getting roped into playing "the real thing" later.

    Anyway, good luck to them breaking open the console market. I have no expectation they will succeed, but skepticism is cheap and what do I know anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Azuriel, a lot of that article wasn't actually about Dust514 in the first place. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. > Before the iPad, who thought they wanted a
    > tablet computer?

    You mean the people who have never ever seen any science fiction before?

    ReplyDelete